MDN Weekly Update – Nov 20, 2011: Catching Up
A very brief weekly update. MDN editor Jim Willis was traveling most of this past week (making a living with my day job), hence lack of daily updates from Wednesday to Friday. A lot can happen in just a few days! The New York Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) held two of four public hearings supposedly on the newest revisions to the draft drilling regulations (Wednesday in Dansville, Thursday in Binghamton)—sessions which devolved into either “drill here drill now” or “ban drilling altogether” arguments as reported by the media. Sorry to miss those hearings!
And on Friday, the Delaware River Basin Commission decided to postpone a vote tomorrow (Monday, Nov. 21) on whether to finally release new drilling rules for land inside of the DRBC’s jurisdiction. Looks like the antis have scored at least a temporary victory.
I’ve posted stories on both of the above items today, plus another hot topic: An update on the situation in Pennsylvania on whether or not local municipalities will have an ongoing role to play in zoning and other laws to restrict gas drilling in their borders.
Continue to vote in the poll for another week, and refer to the rather light calendar of events below for the next two weeks. Seems meetings are light due to the Thanksgiving holiday here in the U.S. later this week.
Be sure to spend time with your family and friends on Thursday, and forget about the politics of drilling for a day!
Jim Willis, Editor
MDN Calendar (Nov 20th – Dec 3rd)
- 2011-11-29 DEC Public Hearings on SGEIS – Loch Sheldrake, NY
- 2011-11-30 DEC Public Hearings on SGEIS – New York, NY
- 2011-11-30 Enfield Town Board Public Hearing – Enfield NY
- 2011-11-19 The End of Country by Seamus McGraw – Wilkes-Barre, PA
- 2011-11-20 Driving Tour of Marcellus Activity – Brockway Borough, PA
- 2011-11-21 SHAADD Marcellus Shale 101 Whitehall South Hills Workshop – Pittsburgh, PA
- 2011-11-22 Pooling, Fair or Forced, What Does it Mean? – Tunkhannock, PA