Williams & Cabot Partner on New 120-Mile PA to NY Pipeline
Williams Partners and Cabot Oil & Gas are working on a new 120-mile natural gas pipeline, dubbed the Constitution Pipeline, that will stretch from Susquehanna County, PA through Broome County, NY, and on through Chenango County, Delaware County, and terminate in Schoharie County, connecting to the Iroquois Gas Transmission pipeline and the Tennessee Gas pipeline (see the map embedded below).
Williams is 75 percent owner of the project and Cabot owns the other 25 percent. The incentive for Cabot is obvious—they have a major drilling presence in Susquehanna County with some of the states top-producing wells—and they’re looking for another route to market for all the gas they’re producing. Southwestern Energy has also committed to using the new pipeline.
Survey work to chart the route was due to begin in spring of this year, and according to intrepid blogger (and MDN favorite) Andy Leahy, survey crews have been spotted in at least one location in Chenango County (see Andy’s chronology and excellent article on the project here).
The timeline for construction? The Constitution Pipeline expects to file its certificate application with the FERC in early 2013. If approved by the FERC, pipeline construction could begin in August 2014 to place the pipeline into service by spring 2015.
- NY Shale Gas Now! (Apr 27, 2012) – Cabot-Williams Constitution Pipeline: New Developments Missed By Upstate Media
- Williams Partners (accessed May 3, 2012) – Constitution Pipeline
- Williams Partners (Apr 24, 2012) – Williams Companies, Inc.: Apr 24, 2012 Constitution Pipeline Company Announces Customer Agreements