Chesapeake Energy 1Q18: M-U Dominates with 45% of Production

Yesterday Chesapeake Energy, now the #2 natural gas producer in the U.S. (after EQT), released its first quarter 2018 financial and operational update. The company reported 1Q18 profits of $268 million, up 257% from the $75 million in profits during 1Q17. The key for increased profits was an increase in production while lowering costs. As we scanned over the numbers, one thing stood out for us: 26% of Chesapeake’s production comes from the Marcellus Shale, and 19% comes from the Utica. Add them together (45%) and no other region comes close. M-U success is Chesapeake’s success. It shows just how key the M-U region is for the mighty Chesapeake. During 1Q18 the company drilled and placed into production 10 wells in the Ohio Utica and 6 wells in the PA Marcellus. 2Q18 plans are to drill and bring online 7 Utica wells and 17 Marcellus wells. However, Chesapeake’s head has been turned. Their primary 2018 focus appears to be the Texas Eagle Ford Shale–an oil play. The company is currently running 5 drilling rigs in the Eagle Ford. They drilled and brought online 23 Eagle Ford wells in 1Q18, with plans to drill and bring online another 50 wells in 2Q18. Chessy has fallen and fallen hard for the siren song of oil. Here’s the latest from the #2 natural-gas producing company in the U.S. that now loves oil…

Please Login to view this content. (Not a member? Join Today!)
You do not have permission to view the comments.

Please Login to post a comment