MDN Weekly Update – Jun 26, 2011
It’s been a few weeks since the last “weekly” update. First, a recap of the previous poll I was running. Thank you to those who voted in that poll. Here are the results:
When do you think Marcellus Shale drilling in New York State will begin?
2011 (19%, 58 Votes)
2012 (35%, 109 Votes)
2013 (16%, 51 Votes)
Never (30%, 94 votes)
Total Voters: 312
Here is the relatively good news about the poll (for those who support safe drilling anyway): Put another way, 70% of you think drilling in the Marcellus Shale will happen in New York, while only 30% think it will never happen. I think there’s wisdom in the crowd’s view.
After a lot of thought, earlier this week I posted an appeal and a poll which is still running. That appeal was for your feedback and asks the question, is MDN worth your support? (See MDN Needs Your Feedback to Continue Publishing.) In that post I said the following:
So I have a question for the 18,000 of you who visit this site each month: Is MDN worth a small subscription fee to you, to continue to the service? Please think carefully about it, and please be completely truthful. Perhaps the things I do on this site are “nice” and maybe “interesting” but not really vital or “necessary” for most people with an interest in the drilling issue. If that’s the case, I’m wasting my time and can find other things to do with it.
Here’s the deal, think carefully about the question I’m asking, and then please click on your answer in the poll (found on the right side of any page). The question: Would you be willing to pay $5 per month to continue reading MDN? Your answer is anonymous—I won’t know who you are. If enough people say yes, MDN will continue and I’ll ask you to subscribe using a credit card (or Paypal account) and it will be charged $5 per month with the option to cancel at any time. If there’s little response, or if the vast majority say no, time to fold the tent and move on.
The early results have been encouraging. Thanks to those who have already voted. I’m going to leave this poll open for one more week. The good news is that is I’m leaning toward continuing MDN and introducing a paid option. I’m working on the details now. In the meantime, please keep reading MDN, and if you haven’t already done so, please vote in the poll. Either answer is fine (yes it’s worth $5 a month, or no it isn’t)! I need honest and true feedback about the value of this service.
Below you’ll find the “top 5” lists and this week’s calendar listings.
Jim Willis, Editor
Five Most Viewed Stories This Past Week (Jun 19 – Jun 25)
- “Monumental” Water Withdrawal Legislation Will Soon Become Law in NY – DEC Gets Big Tool to Tightly Control Gas Drilling (6/20/11)
- New Landowner Resource: Website Catalogs Full Text and Details of 50K Lease Deals in PA and OH (6/22/11)
- PA Marcellus Drilling Wastewater Going to Ohio (6/20/11)
- The Top Reason for Ordering Marcellus Drilling-Related Truck Drivers Off the Road is… (6/23/11)
- Former PA Gov. Ed Rendell to NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo: Lift the Moratorium on Drilling Now (6/21/11)
Five Most Viewed Stories Last 30 Days (May 26 – Jun 25)
- ExxonMobil Continues Expansion in the Marcellus, Buys Two More PA Drillers for $1.69 Billion, Adds Another 317K Acres of Leases (6/9/11)
- Shell Commits to Building a Billion Dollar Chemical Plant in the Marcellus Region of U.S. (6/7/11)
- Chesapeake, 14 Other Energy Companies Have Drilling Permits for Utica Shale in Ohio (4/18/11)
- List of 78 Chemicals Used in Hydraulic Fracturing Fluid in Pennsylvania (6/30/10)
- New York Post: The Real Reason Environmentalists Don’t Like Natural Gas (6/10/11)
MDN Calendar (Jun 26 – Jul 9)
- 2011-06-27 Industrialization of Agricultural Land from the Marcellus to S Africa – Ithaca, NY
- 2011-06-29 Leatherstocking Pipeline Public Hearing II – Coventry, NY
- 2011-06-29 Mapping Potential Drilling Activity in Town of Lansing – Lansing, NY
- 2011-06-27 Cecil Township Public Hearing – Cecil, PA
- 2011-06-27 Sullivan County Pa Energy Task Force – LaPorte, PA
- 2011-06-28 Franklin Township Zoning Meeting – Waynesburg, PA
- 2011-06-28 Jefferson Morgan Public Hearing – Mather, PA
- 2011-06-28 Managing Secondary Impacts of Gas Development for Local Governments – Somerset, PA
- 2011-06-28 Marcellus Shale Business to Business Forum – Oil City, PA
- 2011-06-29 Managing Secondary Impacts of Gas Development for Local Governments – Washington, PA
- 2011-06-30 Gas and Water in the Delaware River Watershed – Matamoros, PA
- 2011-07-07 Hanover Township Public Hearing, Hanover Twp, PA
- 2011-07-07 Pine Township Public Hearing – Morris, PA