A new organization called Clean Growth Now has formed to support shale gas drilling in New York State. The interesting and newsworthy aspect of this new organization is that it is not drilling industry-backed, but rather made up of 16 community organizations that believe shale gas drilling is safe and will provide an economic and jobs windfall for the state.
From the Clean Growth Now press release issued yesterday:
Clean Growth Now (CGN), a new coalition supporting the development of New York’s Marcellus Shale resources, officially launched today. Comprised of 16 leading community organizations representing labor, landowners, and businesses, CGN’s members have joined together to support a common goal: balancing the opportunity for economic growth stemming from shale gas development with community priorities and public safety.
“The members joining me here today represent New Yorkers from every walk of life who have an interest in protecting and enhancing our state and their local communities,” said Associated General Contractors of New York State president and CGN founding member Mike Elmendorf. “Developing our resources isn’t an either-or situation. Our state leaders have a plan in place to ensure New York can enjoy economic growth while also protecting our safety and health.”
“What’s at stake in working together to ensure our resources are produced safely?” posed Joint Landowners Coalition of New York President Dan Fitzsimmons. “Just look across our border to Pennsylvania and see the prosperity—well-paying jobs, new infrastructure, greater tax revenue—they’re reaping as a result of natural gas activity.”
“It’s those impacted most by development who have been overlooked in this debate,” added Brian McMahon, New York State Economic Development Council executive director. “Carefully pursuing natural gas development, as Governor Cuomo’s plan lays out, will put thousands of New Yorkers back to work while helping to bridge the gap to a cleaner energy future.”
CGN invites individuals and organizations interested in joining the coalition to visit www.CleanGrowthNow.org to find out more.
To speak with a CGN spokesman or to learn more, email [email protected]
The member organizations of Clean Growth Now include:
- Associated Builders and Contractors – Empire State Chapter
- Associated General Contractors of New York State
- Business Council of New York State, Inc.
- Construction Contractors Association of the Hudson Valley
- Construction Industry Council of Westchester and Hudson Valley, Inc.
- Greater Binghamton Chamber of Commerce
- International Union of Operating Engineers
- Joint Landowners Coalition of New York, Inc.
- Latino National Republican Coalition of New York State
- National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB) New York
- National Hispanic Assembly of Orange County
- National Hispanic Construction Association
- New York State Black Chamber of Commerce
- New York State Economic Development Council
- Northeast Council of Carpenters
- Republican National Hispanic Assembly of New York State
- Southern Tier Economic Growth
*Clean Growth Now Press Release (Nov 10, 2011) – New York Community Groups Unite to Support Safe, Natural Gas Development