How Much Will New York Pay if It Loses Frack Ban Lawsuit?
About a month ago, MDN brought you the exciting news that a father and son who own land in Upstate New York (not far from MDN HQ) have sued New York State for “taking” their right to allow shale drilling and fracking under their land (see New Lawsuit Brought Against NY Claims State Frack Ban a “Taking”). No doubt the lawsuit will take years to play out, but at the end of it all, if the state loses and is forced to pay landowners (not just these two, but all affected landowners), how much money are we talking about? Read More “How Much Will New York Pay if It Loses Frack Ban Lawsuit?”

This is a critical moment for reliable, affordable energy in the Northeast, and your voice can make a difference. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) is currently accepting public comments on the Constitution Pipeline, representing an important step toward finally advancing this long-delayed project and a key opportunity for supporters to be heard. If you support building the Constitution Pipeline, please take a few minutes to submit a brief comment to FERC by May 4, 2026, because your input truly matters. We have instructions below on how to file a comment (it takes just a couple of minutes).
New York’s electric grid faces its lowest reliability margins in recent history this summer, with only 417 MW available under baseline conditions, according to the New York Independent System Operator (NYISO). This critical situation stems from extreme weather, an aging generation fleet, and a lack of new dispatchable resources. NYISO’s annual Summer Reliability Assessment (copy below) says an extended heat wave of three days or more, with temperatures around 95 degrees, could result in a capacity deficit of -1,679 MW, increasing to -3,370 MW at 98 degrees, potentially leading to blackouts. NYISO can implement emergency measures like purchasing energy or voluntary curtailment to mitigate shortfalls, but the overall margin for error is extremely narrow.
Williams has commenced construction of its Transco Northeast Supply Enhancement (NESE) project, extending through northeast Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York (see
PowerTransitions, an independent power producer specializing in redeveloping legacy power facilities, has agreed to acquire five New York gas-fired power plants — Batavia, Hillburn, Massena, Shoemaker, and Sterling — totaling 323 megawatts (MW) from Alliance Energy Group affiliates. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. The deal marks PowerTransitions’ entry into the New York market, bringing its total portfolio to approximately 550 MW across seven stations spanning multiple NYISO zones. PowerTransitions says the acquired sites offer “brownfield redevelopment potential” for new power generation and battery storage. Frankly, this one is a head-scratcher for us.
It’s fun to watch mainstream media begin to wake up to the lawsuit we told you about last week, filed by a father and son against New York State over its fracking ban (see
Wow! We haven’t been this excited about the long-dead issue of fracking in New York State in a LONG time. Geologist Madison Woodward III and his son Thomas (from Texas) purchased property in New York State in 2011, hoping to develop its natural gas reserves based on geological assessments and successful fracking operations in nearby Pennsylvania. However, New York’s statewide ban on hydraulic fracking, later expanded to include all alternative extraction methods, rendered the Woodwards’ mineral rights worthless. Represented by Pacific Legal Foundation, the Woodwards filed a federal lawsuit yesterday, arguing that the ban constitutes an unconstitutional “taking” of their property under the Fifth Amendment, for which they are owed just compensation, challenging New York’s energy policy and defending property owners’ rights.
Connecticut gubernatorial candidate Betsy McCaughey (Republican) has sued New York Governor Kathy Hochul (Democrat), alleging a violation of the Interstate Commerce Clause for blocking the Constitution Pipeline. McCaughey claims Hochul’s actions prevent cheaper Marcellus Shale natural gas from reaching New England, thereby increasing Connecticut’s electricity rates. McCaughey, who lives in Greenwich, claims legal standing to sue as a consumer and ratepayer. The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court, aims to force New York to allow construction of the pipeline, which she argues would provide Connecticut residents with more affordable energy. Do-nothing Governor Ned Lamont (lifer Democrat, running for a third term) dismissed the suit as a political stunt. 
As we report in today’s lead story, Williams held a groundbreaking ceremony for the Transco Northeast Supply Enhancement (NESE) project in New York City yesterday (see Groundbreaking Ceremony for NESE Pipe in NYC an All-Star Event). One of the speakers at the event, the master of ceremonies, was Williams CEO Chad Zamarin. One of the comments he made at the event that deserves its own post here on MDN was news about the Constitution Pipeline project, a 124-mile greenfield pipeline from the Marcellus gas fields of Susquehanna County, PA, to Schoharie County, NY, to move Marcellus gas into New York State and New England. 
National Grid New York is upgrading its 50-year-old Grasmere Gate Station on Staten Island, a critical piece of natural gas infrastructure serving approximately 80,000 customers. This two-phase project, which began in March 2025 and is expected to finish by June 2026, involves a complete rebuild of mechanical equipment and components to enhance safety, strengthen physical structure, and improve efficiency. The work was crucial during a winter with record-breaking natural gas demand and is part of National Grid’s ongoing investment in modernizing infrastructure across Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island to meet current and future energy needs. Here’s our question: How in the world did lunatic anti-fossil fuel fanatics not notice this upgrade was happening and protest to stop it?
Anti-fossil fuel fanatics haven’t given up on trying to block construction of the Williams Northeast Supply Enhancement (NESE) pipeline, a $1 billion+ project designed to increase Transco pipeline capacity and flows of Marcellus gas heading into New York City and other northeastern markets. Last November, the states of New York and New Jersey issued federal Clean Water Act permits for their respective states, allowing NESE to be built (see
Just coming to light for us now is that Iroquois Gas Transmission System petitioned the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) in February to reissue authorization for the $152 million Wright Interconnect Project in New York State, aiming to revive a critical link for the previously canceled Constitution Pipeline. Originally approved in 2014, the project seeks to establish a new receipt interconnection and compression facilities at the Wright Compressor Station. By creating 650,000 dekatherms per day (650 MMcf/d) of transportation capacity, the initiative intends to alleviate persistent natural gas supply constraints in the Northeast and New England markets. If approved, the project targets a May 2028 in-service date, utilizing existing company-owned infrastructure to minimize environmental impacts.
Governor Kathy Hochul warns that a recent court ruling requiring New York to meet strict 2030 greenhouse gas mandates could trigger a dramatic spike in energy costs. Justice Julian Schreibman ruled that state agencies must strictly adhere to the Climate Act’s deadlines, despite official concerns regarding feasibility. While state energy officials predict a “cap-and-invest” (better called a cap-and-tax) program could cost households thousands annually, environmental advocates are open to settling the case to avoid “draconian” economic impacts. To reach these goals affordably, Hochul is pushing to adjust emission accounting methods to a 100-year standard, extending the compliance timeline while maintaining the state’s commitment to clean energy. 