The full version of New York’s new proposed drilling guidelines, known as the Supplemental Generic Environmental Impact Statement (SGEIS) has been out in its full and “final” form for about three weeks (see this MDN story). At the time of the final release, the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) said the actual language of the regulations, the changes to existing oil and gas drilling regulations for New York, would come out “in early October.” The new language has just been released by the DEC, so, after criticizing Joe Martens (Commissioner of the DEC) for many things, MDN grants him an “at-a-boy” for releasing the language earlier than expected. The early release of the new regulation language further diffuses the argument by critics that they don’t have enough time to read and understand what’s coming.
The new regulatory language is important because it carries the weight of law once it’s adopted. Here are links to the sections that are either changed, or where new sections have been added:
- Proposed Express Terms 6 NYCRR Parts 52 and 190
- Proposed Express Terms 6 NYCRR Parts 551 through 556 and 560
- Proposed Express Terms 6 NYCRR Parts 750.1 and 750.3
A public comment period is now open on the new regulations which will last until December 12, 2011. There are two ways to make a written public comment:
- Electronic submission using a web-based comment form available on DEC’s website (preferred method); or
- Paper submission mailed or delivered to: Attn: dSGEIS Comments, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY 12233-6510. Please include the name, address, and affiliation (if any) of the commenter.
Paper submissions also will be accepted at the public hearings.
Speaking of which, here is the schedule for the
sure-to-be-entertaining circus-like public hearings:
- 11/16/2011, 1:00 PM, Dansville Middle School Auditorium, 31 Clara Barton Street, Dansville
- 11/16/2011, 6:00 PM, Dansville Middle School Auditorium, 31 Clara Barton Street, Dansville
- 11/17/2011, 1:00 PM, The Forum Theatre, 236 Washington Street, Binghamton
- 11/17/2011, 6:00 PM, The Forum Theatre, 236 Washington Street, Binghamton
- 11/29/2011, 1:00 PM, Sullivan County Community College, Seelig Theatre, 112 College Road, Loch Sheldrake
- 11/29/2011, 6:00 PM, Sullivan County Community College, Seelig Theatre, 112 College Road, Loch Sheldrake
- 11/30/2011, 1:00 PM, Tribeca Performing Arts Center, 199 Chambers Street, New York, NY
- 11/30/2011, 6:00 PM, Tribeca Performing Arts Center, 199 Chambers Street, New York, NY