Katie Klaber, the new President of the Marcellus Shale Coalition recently appeared on the Clean Skies News network to discuss the environmental issues of natural gas drilling. It’s an informative and short piece (under 10 minutes), and worth watching (embedded below).
Among the things discussed that MDN found interesting:
- Ms. Klaber says Marcellus Drilling will bring 110,000 jobs to Pennsylvania in 2010.
- Some drillers recycle and reuse 100% of fracking water, but the industry average right now is recycling and reusing 60%.
- Because of the high rate of recycling, a shortage of wastewater treatment facilities is not critical at the moment, but more facilities will be needed in the next few years.
- Drilling companies already have an MSDS (Materials Safety Data Sheet) at the drilling site for each and every chemical used in the fracking process. That is right now, today. So the hue and cry that drillers are “hiding” the chemicals used in fracking is not true.
- Ms. Klaber predicts that Pennsylvania will be a net exporter of natural gas by 2014.