Utica Event: OH Landowners Will Lose $6.5B in 5 Yrs, NEXUS May Get Nixed
4/17/16 NOTE: Spectra Energy contacted MDN to express concerns that our headline leaves the wrong impression. A Spectra spokesman commented: “The story, particularly the headline, portrays the NEXUS Gas Transmission project as being canceled. This is untrue; NEXUS filed a Certificate Application with the FERC in November of 2015 and has consistently met its regulatory milestones since that time. The project is on schedule and we anticipate FERC issuing its approval to proceed in the second-half of 2016, thereby allowing us to achieve our in-service date of late 2017.” MDN does not mean to imply the project won’t happen–the speaker at the conference we reported on is the one saying that. We’re simply reporting what she said, which we found newsworthy. Spectra takes issue with the opinion that the project may get canceled–they are committed to building it. We have modified the shorter headline that did say “NEXUS Nixed” to say “NEXUS May Get Nixed” to be more accurate. We regret any wrong impression it may have left. Make no mistake, MDN hopes NEXUS happens! We’re rooting for it!
On Wednesday, the Canton Regional Chamber of Commerce and ShaleDirectories.com co-hosted the Utica Upstream conference at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, OH. By all accounts we’ve read, it was an excellent event. (Note: ShaleDirectories is partnering with Sourcewater to present UpStream PA 2016 in State College on April 19). We spotted several articles about Utica Upstream, and all of them focused totally, or in part, on the presentation made by Maria Cortez of energy research firm/consultant Wood Mackenzie. Cortez was clearly the bell of the ball. Among her observations on Wednesday: Ohio landowners will lose $6.5 billion in lost income in the next five years thanks to the drilling slowdown; drillers will buy out other drillers at a rapid pace this year and next; the Utica needs at least 11 rigs to keep production at current levels (right now they’re running 11!); some 150-250 drilled but uncompleted wells (DUCs) will be the focus for drillers for the time being; and the NEXUS pipeline likely will NOT get built. But wait, there’s more!…
Read More “Utica Event: OH Landowners Will Lose $6.5B in 5 Yrs, NEXUS May Get Nixed”

West Virginia’s largest natural gas LDC (local distribution company) is Mountaineer Gas–with 220,000 customers, 450 employees and servicing 49 of WV’s 55 counties. Mountaineer Gas maintains close to 6,000 miles of pipeline. They’d like to add another 56 miles of pipelines to that number. Mountaineer has filed an application with the WV Public Service Commission to build a $45 million expansion of their distribution network in Berkeley, Jefferson and Morgan counties (the eastern panhandle of WV). Why? To deliver more Marcellus Shale gas to industrial customers who want to build manufacturing plants in the region. There is some natural gas in the area now–but not nearly enough. The new lines, which are not high pressure transmission lines but low pressure distribution lines, would bump up the volume of gas and deliver it to locations where new plants want to build. Local economic development people are excited as this provides a foundation for long-term growth in the region. Below are the details of Mountaineer’s application, along with a copy of the official paperwork they’ve filed with the WV PSC…
Another environmentalist has tipped over the edge. The daughter of a landowner in Huntingdon County, PA scampered up a tree and planted herself there to prevent that tree and others near it from being cut down by crews clearing a path for the Mariner East 2 pipeline. Just two days ago we told you that Huntingdon County Common Pleas Judge George Zanic previously issued an order to Ellen Gerhart to allow tree clearing on three acres of her property (see
MDN has written a number of stories about CORN–the COalition to Reroute NEXUS (